When people don’t have anything to say, they generally bring up the weather. Well, guess what? I’d like to take a quick moment to discuss the grey skies and plummeting temperatures that plague me for about three months. I know winter is a necessary evil, but it would be nice if it came with a fast-forward button. I suffer from major depression. (Yeah, I know, who doesn’t?) I have good days … a lot of bad days … and good days, again.
When you’re already struggling and there’s not a drop of sunshine in sight, it is extremely easy to fall into a trap of self-doubt and negativity. I constantly have a nagging suspicion that everyone I know is judging me. Of course I internalize this feeling and soon find myself caught up in an endless cycle that starts and finishes with “Woe is ME.”
A few weeks ago, my friend Jaime expressed similar sentiments and decided to start a running blog hop at James & Jax. I thought it was a great idea even though I’ve been putting it off. Honestly, I didn’t feel like I was capable of being my own cheerleader. However, she’s only asking her readers for one thing: to accentuate the positive. That’s it—no frills, no long-winded gimmicky plea. So, at least for a few minutes, I’m not going to allow a bad moment to mar an otherwise perfectly good day. Per Jaime’s suggestion, here is my list of what I’m doing right this week.
- First and foremost, I pulled myself out of bed. You might be thinking, “So what?” Well, if you have ever suffered from major depression, then I don’t need to explain!
- I ate lunch today. I have a bad habit of skipping lunch, but I grabbed a piece of pizza. It may not be a plate of vegetables, but baby steps.
- I checked in on some people who are going through a rough time and/or tried to offer words of comfort if they contacted me first.
- I took the day off on Friday and cleaned out my now-former car (a hot mess), scrubbed the bathroom (a second hot mess) and did another task that I had been putting off for weeks.
- I wrote this post. I hate writing. No, that sentence wasn’t mistakenly changed by spellcheck or anything.
Head over to James & Jax and link up (if you have a blog). Or feel free to leave a comment. Whether it’s just for today or for the past week, tell me, what are you doing RIGHT?